[Debian-ezgo-packaging] Blends-commit post from fweng-guest at users.alioth.debian.org requires approval

Andreas Tille andreas at an3as.eu
Fri Mar 7 13:47:47 UTC 2014

Hi Franklin,

On Fri, Mar 07, 2014 at 04:33:52PM +0800, Franklin Weng wrote:
> > So your *exact* question is what?  You want to regenerate the ezgo
> > metapackages?
>
> My short term target: to generate some ezgo deb packages and apply it to
> debian-edu, just like what itzks-system does, so that we can demo to others
> in April.

I admit I have no idea what itzks-system might do (and no time to spent
to learn about this).

> My long term target: regenerate ezgo meta packages to form a debian-ezgo
> distribution.

This should be easy for somebody with some packaging experience.

> For short term target, my *exact* questions is: how to generate
> ezgo-artwork, ezgo-menu, ezgo-phet ... packages to apply on debian-edu.
>  I'm now working on ezgo-artwork.  I'm studying how debian-edu-artwork
> works.
>
> For long term target, my *not-so-exact* questions is: I have very few ideas
> about how blends works.  I've read the Debian Pure Blends documents a few
> weeks ago, but at that time I didn't check out debian-ezgo repository from
> svn.  Right now I still couldn't map those contents into the contents of
> debian-ezgo blends repository.  So I guess I have to re-read the document
> again.

I also guess you need to become a bit more familiar with packaging in
general to make better sense out of this but re-reading might not harm.

> > Creating these entries:
> >

> > ezgo (0.8.0ubuntu2) oneiric; urgency=low
> >
> >   *.
> >
> >  -- s <s at s-AOA150>  Mon, 05 Dec 2011 20:05:09 +0800
> >
> > ezgo (0.8.0ubuntu1) oneiric; urgency=low
> >
> >   *.
> >
> >  -- s <s at s-AOA150>  Mon, 05 Dec 2011 19:13:25 +0800
> >

> > I woudl start with removing this cruft, add a proper changelog entry
> > using `dch -i` and than do
> >

> Oops, in my Wheezy system I have no dch command.

And you have no idea how to dig for this?

Hint:

   If you do not have apt-file installed do

     sudo apt-get install apt-file
     sudo apt-file update

   first.  Then try

     apt-file search /usr/bin/dch

and you will know what package you need to install to have dch.

> >    make dist
> >

> > Could you also please confirm that your are comfortable with basic
> > Debian package building?
> >

> Did you mean that if I'm familiar with debian package building?

Yes.  (But the question that you do not know dch basically answers
my question. ;-))

> Currently
> I only had a few experiences extracting an existing deb file, change the
> debian/control, then used dpkg-buildpackage to repackage it again.  No any
> other debian packaging experiences.

While I would really like to support your attempt I guess you need to
gain some packaging experience first before you can tackle your task
effectively.

Kind regards

       Andreas.

--