Microflyer

James Addison jay at jp-hosting.net
Sun May 28 21:10:45 BST 2023

On Sun, 28 May 2023 at 08:24, Joost van Baal-Ilić
<joostvb-debian at mdcc.cx> wrote:
> Your PR has been merged, I've just built assembly.pdf locally, that works
> flawlessly.  So thanks for this nice work!  You write:

Thank you!  Some discussion of your suggestions in-line, and then an
updated text at the end of this message, that I'll request
proofreading from debian-doc soon.

> "All of the software source code developed by the Debian community is available
> for you to read, edit and redistribute."
>
> Maybe change that to "All of the software source code shipped by the Debian
> community [...]": most of the code is from upstream, I believe.

Good point.  I wanted to avoid misrepresenting the availability of
source code for (binary) packages that are available from the non-free
areas, while remaining fairly concise - but it's true, equally we
shouldn't risk misrepresenting the authorship of the software.

> Also, of course the "63,000+ packaged" metric needs maintenance; it would
> likely need to get adjusted at least once every 2 years.  Unfortunately
> I have no suggestion on how to make sure this will happen...

It's not a guarantee that updates will be made, but a comment in the
tex file with a command to generate the approximate count could help?

(for reference here: it was an 'apt list | wc -l' on bookworm)

> What could furthermore get changed is: "by a large community of volunteers" in
> "by a community of over 1,000 volunteers": that will likely stay true for at
> least 10 years.

Yep, that seems fair.  Initially I felt that leaving the scale of the
community unquantified could lead people to be curious and find out
more for themselves.  I've included it below, and will think about it
more.

---- BEGIN FLYER ----
Debian is a free operating system for computers of all kinds.  It
offers 63,000+ packaged utilities and applications, including software
for businesses, programmers, scientists, educators and artists.

Continuous improvements and timely security updates are provided by a
community of over 1,000 volunteers who have subject area interest and
expertise in the software they maintain.  All of the software source
code shipped by the Debian community is available for you to read,
edit and redistribute.

To learn more about Debian and to obtain a copy that you can run and
optionally install, scan the QR code above, or visit
https://www.debian.org for more information.
---- END FLYER ----