[Debian-handbook-translators] Some comments after the first Git pushes of translators

Raphael Hertzog hertzog at debian.org
Thu May 31 09:19:21 UTC 2012

Hello,

thank you for the translation work that you already did, it's great to see
that teams are forming and that translations are progressing.

But I noticed that almost nobody managed to follow all my instructions:

1/ you all pushed your translations to "master" instead of "squeeze/master"

   Please push to squeeze/master, I will regularly merge squeeze/master
   into master. For now, it's not a big deal because I have not yet
   started to work on the wheezy version but soon both branches will
   diverge and you probably don't want to target the wheezy version
   too soon.

2/ I have seen multiple merges (from Giuseppe and Calogero). Please
   re-read README.git and use "git pull --rebase" when you can't push your
   work because you're not up-to-date.

Also I just pushed an update to README.translators. I ask you to start
all your commit messages with the language code of your translation so
that it's easy to identify commits which only concern translations from
the rest.

Some examples of good commit messages (without the star of course):
* it-IT: Add initial README file
* es-ES: Complete translation of chapter 4
* zh-CN: Review of chapter 3

I hope everybody will quickly be able to follow those simple rules,
otherwise I might want to have only one person per translation team
that can push to the repository. And this person would be in charge
of ensuring that the various rules are followed.

Thank you for your understanding.

Cheers,
--
Raphaël Hertzog ◈ Debian Developer

Get the Debian Administrator's Handbook:
→ http://debian-handbook.info/get/