[Debian-handbook-translators] Using Weblate for handbook translations

Michal Čihař nijel at debian.org
Thu Jun 7 07:30:03 UTC 2012

Hi

Dne Wed, 6 Jun 2012 17:09:12 +0200
Raphael Hertzog <hertzog at debian.org> napsal(a):

> On Tue, 05 Jun 2012, Michal Čihař wrote:
> > > I guess it really depends on the various translation teams. I don't
> > > want to impose it and some might prefer to use a workflow that doesn't
> > > require usage of weblate.
> >
> > Well there is no need to use Weblate even if it is used - it's just a
> > web interface that allows to edit files, nothing prevents others to
> > work directly on Git repo.
>
> Does it need write access to the central repository or can it use a
> separate repository hosted by weblate itself?

It can push to central repository or repository can be published
separately, for example see setup I've made for Wine:
https://github.com/nijel/weblate/wiki/Wine

> Anyway, it looks like some teams are interested by using weblate
> so I'm OK to give it a try, but I would like it to push to an
> alternate repository where I would retrieve changes from time
> to time (and where I control when I update it with new content
> too).

Okay, I'll set it up in two weeks (I'd have done it sooner, but I'll be
offline till 17th, what would not allow me to tweak the setup in case
some issues are found).

> At least for a start. Later on we might change to direct
> commit to the official repository if it's working in a
> satisfying way.
>
> Is there a way to enforce some rules on what commit look like? Until now I
> have asked the translator to prefix their commit with their language code
> (eg. "it-IT: ") and it would be nice if weblate could follow this convention.

Currently there is no way to enter custom commit messages, but adding
language prefix is possible:

http://weblate.readthedocs.org/en/latest/config.html#envvar-COMMIT_MESSAGE