[Debian-handbook-translators] review request of selectable color scheme (gray-scale/full-color) for lulu.com POD

Raphael Hertzog hertzog at debian.org
Fri Mar 4 08:40:16 UTC 2016

Hi,

On Fri, 04 Mar 2016, AYANOKOUZI, Ryuunosuke wrote:
> > You can search for examples by following command.
> > $ xmlstarlet sel -t -c '//xref/parent::para/parent::sidebar' en-US/01_the-debian-project.xml
> >
> > Do you think such "page XX" string should also be kept in gray?
>
> My approach was globally setting font color black,
> but sometime this approach has side effects which cannot be ignored.
> Such as...
> * it turns text color black on black background
>   (circled numbers, character on colored circle)
>   (Ex: Section "Changes to smb.conf")
>   $ xmlstarlet sel -t -c '//co/parent::*' en-US/*.xml | less
> * prepositional arrow of URLs is still gray.
>
> So, I revised my patch by following approach.
>
> 1. Setting "hidelinks" option of hyperref.sty.
>    It removes color and border feature (clickable link feature is not removed).
> 2. Setting selectcolormodel "gray" by xcolor.sty.
>    It simulate output from black & while printer.
> 3. Overriding color definition of "textgray" by xcolor.sty
>    "textgray" text turn to be "black" text.
>
> The text color of "page XX" string is changed to black by 3rd approach.
> I think it is reasonable for black & white printer
> especially "page XX" string on gray background.

I would prefer not to do "3" instead I would suggest to change the XSL for
"page.citation" to behave differently within a <sidebar>. Instead of changing
to \textgray, we would generate "[page XX]" or "(page XX)" instead.

The idea is to get it out of the usual text flow. The grey was a way to do
it but if it's black we must have some other mean to do it...

Cheers,
--
Raphaël Hertzog ◈ Debian Developer