[Debian-handbook-translators] Validate translation (compatibility to the docbook format) done on Weblate

Michal Čihař nijel at debian.org
Tue Jun 21 11:42:55 UTC 2016

Hi

Sorry for late reply, somehow this mail got out of my attention...

Dne 24.5.2016 v 11:25 Raphael Hertzog napsal(a):
> On Mon, 23 May 2016, AYANOKOUZI, Ryuunosuke wrote:
>> Sometime translators push a commit with error.
>> This is caused by the lack of carefulness or
>> knowledge about back-end used in the book (publican, docbook, xml etc...).
>> If translators could concentrate on their translation,
>> that would increase the quality of translation.
>> How can we achieve it? I think CI is one of the solution.
>>
>> To poof this concept, I linked personal debian-handbook repository on GitHub to Travis CI
>> and performed build test in some error cases (recently reported error). Finally, I found that
>> most of errors would detectable and the log would show the position of the error.
>
> One issue with this is that we use lazy commits so you do not always have
> the latest strings in git. Maybe weblate could be improved to maintain
> a pu/<branch-name> that would be overwritten each time but that would
> always contain the most recent content (while <branch-name> continues to
> be updated lazily).

Unfortunately this is not really possible without ruining user
experience as doing Git commit with every change is quite expensive.

>> Here are test cases I checked:
>> case 1: no problem
>>         https://travis-ci.org/l/debian-handbook/builds/132296396#L2585
>>
>> case 2: xml format error: mismatched tag
>>         https://travis-ci.org/l/debian-handbook/builds/132292727#L2746
>>
>> case 3: xml format error: not well-formed (invalid token)
>>         https://travis-ci.org/l/debian-handbook/builds/132217344#L2746
>
> Those two errors should really be caught by Weblate. Don't we have such
> basic XML checks?

Yes it should have them. Though they are not enforcing - translator gets
warning, but the translation is still committed.

>> However, There are some problem in terms of automation.
>> First problem is that currently
>> I have to fetch 'jessie/master' branch from Weblate by hand.
>> GitHub pull request hook of Weblate may solve this problem
>> (polling is another solution, but it is not so much sophisticated).
>
> Weblate has many features (API, scripts) but not external Webhook
> to trigger something else when its internal git repository has been
> updated. But it should be doable with a custom post-commit script
> or something like that.

Adding something like this to Weblate makes sense, but it definitely
won't be there in near future.

--
	Michal Čihař | http://cihar.com/ | https://weblate.org/