[Debian-handbook-translators] cover.jpg

AYANOKOUZI, Ryuunosuke i38w7i3 at yahoo.co.jp
Sun Oct 16 01:53:14 UTC 2016

Dear Petter,

At Thu, 13 Oct 2016 15:14:17 +0200,
Raphael Hertzog <hertzog at debian.org> wrote:

> On Thu, 13 Oct 2016, Petter Reinholdtsen wrote:
> > Did you consider using SVG and po4a for this purpose?  I did some
>
> No, not really. The current cover includes 3D rendered content and the
> whole layout is manually adjusted by the designer.
>
> That said Ryuunosuke wanted to explore this approach to handle the
> "dia" figures that are in the book. That would be a good start :)

We, Japanese Translation Team, are using po4a
to manage source and translated strings in "dia" figures.
But, we gave up to rely ONLY on po4a to translate "dia" figures.
Because,
1. reasonable size, position, and alignment of text-box are strongly depends
   on layout of non-text elements (allows, rectangular box, etc...),
2. some fonts used in en-US/images/*.dia does not have Japanese characters,
3. the above matters can not be handled by po4a.
This means that, after generation of translated "dia" figures using po4a,
we must tweak layout of elements and specify fonts by hand using Dia.

For now, source strings in "dia" figures does not be updated frequently.
So, we are satisfied with our approach.

Sincerely yours,
Ryuunosuke Ayanokouzi
--