[Debian-handbook-translators] Weblate availability

AYANOKOUZI, Ryuunosuke i38w7i3 at yahoo.co.jp
Sat Apr 1 12:34:58 UTC 2017

Dear Patrick,

At Sat, 01 Apr 2017 12:58:57 +0200,
Patrick Kox <patrick.kox at skynet.be> wrote:

> Hi AYANOKOUZI Ryuunosuke,
>
> I thought that my initial post to this list would be enough to start
> the translation. Since the readme stated to contact this list and tell
> what language I want to work on.

I missed your initial post, sorry about my misunderstanding.

> Anyway I've got the following:
>
> 1. An account on the Weblate website https://hosted.weblate.org/
> (Patrick Kox)
>
> 2. An account on the Alioth Website (patrick-kox-guest)
>
> 3. Requested to join the project on the Alioth website
>
> 4. SSH setup for Alioth (waiting for the passkey to work)

If you decide to perform translation work via Weblate,
you don't need to create Alioth account (2),
to send request for joining debian-handbook project (3),
and to setup SSH for Alioth (4).

> So, from what I understand once my membership at Alioth is confirmed I
> can use git to clone the project (but I need to wait until  I'm
> accepted to the project and another 24 hours after than to be able to
> connect though SSH) and then I can:
> - Clone the Project : git+ssh://git.debian.org/git/debian-handbook/debi
> an-handbook.git
> - Add my language to Publican : publican update_po --langs=nl-NL
>
> But this generates some errors, but after some searching I've found the
> following command to work :
>
> publican update_po --langs=nl-NL --firstname=patrick --surname=kox --em
> ail=patrick.kox at skynet.be
>
> But, the readme says to submit the empty *.po files through git, but my
> files are not empty but contain the English content of the book (but
> maybe that's normal?)

That is normal.
'empty *.po files' means 'untranslated *.po files'.
I setup initial translation files (nl-NL/*.po) by publican and create README (nl-NL/README)
and pushed them into 'jessie/master' branch.
(The branch is a translation source branch for our project in Weblate.)

> Also, at the top of the files the headers don't contain any of my
> information (again, maybe that's normal?) and look like this :

That is also normal.
Weblate take care of Translator and Date information in header
according to your Weblate account information.

> msgid ""
> msgstr ""
> "Project-Id-Version: 0\n"
> "POT-Creation-Date: 2015-10-01 20:53+0200\n"
> "PO-Revision-Date: 2015-10-01 20:53+0200\n"
> "Last-Translator: Automatically generated\n"
> "Language-Team: None\n"
> "Language: en-US \n"
>
> msgid "Preface"
> msgstr ""
>
> And then the content of the document starts, and as I understand it, I
> have to translate the content between the msgid "" and msgstr "" tags?

Mostly yes. Please translate English msgid into Dutch
and put translated string into msgstr (keep msgid as it is).
As far as using Weblate, you don't need worry about them.

> so IF I've done everything correctly I can start translating and submit
> through git once I'm accepted to the Alioth project and have SSH access
> to the server to submit my edits.

You can start translating without Alioth account,
membership of debian-handbook project (write access to repository),
and Git knowledge, if you use Weblate.

> While I'm waiting I guess I can make that README file with all the
> required information and have a look at some Git tutorial and see howto
> correctly use it, one of the Advantages of Git over the Website is that
> I don't need a network connection to translate.

You don't need to submit your translation work by Git if you use Weblate.
Sync Git repository with Weblate and vice versa is managed by Raphael.

> Please let me now if I'm doing anything wrong and advise is still very
> welcome.
>
> Thanks !
>
> Patrick

Sincerely yours,