[Debian-hebrew-package] {My, Hun}spell dicts and OOo hyphenations/thesauri transition

Rene Engelhard rene.engelhard at gmx.de
Sun Aug 2 22:36:00 UTC 2009

Hi,

I want to get this mess fixed up as soon as possible:

(sid)rene at frodo:/usr/share/myspell/dicts$ ls
de-BE.aff  de_DE.dic  DicOOo.sxw  en-US.dic        th_de_DE_v2.idx
de-BE.dic  de-DE.dic  en_US.aff   hyph_de_DE.dic   th_en_US_v2.dat
de_DE.aff  de-LU.aff  en-US.aff   hyph_en_US.dic   th_en_US_v2.idx
de-DE.aff  de-LU.dic  en_US.dic   th_de_DE_v2.dat
(sid)rene at frodo:/usr/share/myspell/dicts$

Since OpenOffice.org formerly only supported one directory for all its
spellchecking dictionaries and hyphenation patterns and thesauri we
all dumped them into /usr/share/myspell/dicts with a symlink from
<ooo installdir>/share/dict/ooo to there.
After the Mozillas started to use MySpell/Hunspell, too, they point
to the same directory...

Now, since OpenOffice.org is able to use more paths and the Mozillas
still only use one for the spellchecking ones (and the scribus'es might
use one for the hyphenation ones soon), it's probably a good idea to clean
this up right now.

The plan is as follows:

1) all hyphenation patterns (hyph_*.dic) will move to /usr/share/hyphen.
   OOo can be configured with --with-external-hyph-dir to look there,
   scribus can add a symlink there or add a configure thing, too
2) all thesauri (th_*.{idx,dat}) will move to /usr/share/mythes
   OOo (only one using it) can be configured with --with-external-thes-dir
   to look there
3) the hunspell dictionaries should move to /usr/share/hunspell.
   OOo gets configured with --with-external-dict-dir. Hunspell itself
   looks there anyway and the symlinks in the Mozillas get changed

To not have a transition involving OOo and the mozillas (and eventually
some transitions which they are in) and all dicts together we talked on
debconf how to best do it and came up with the following:

STEP 1 (now!)
------
All dictionary packages get changed for the new location but KEEP the old
one.

STEP 2 (before squeezes freeze)
------
all affected packages get changed to look in the new location/change
the symlink to the new location. Let them migrate to testing.

This would break partial upgrades when someone partially installed
the new OOo/Mozilla/... with old, non-yet-changed packages, but we decided
to ignore this possibility. Or, if STEP 1 was completed *in testing* we
can add appropriate Breaks:

STEP 3
------
Remove the /usr/share/myspell/dicts compatibility links. This also means
patching dictionaries-common (getting rid of info files, ...). This would
also remove compatibility of those packages with OOo 2.4, but I don't think
that's bad; we then have a stable release with OOo3 and new dicts anyway.

As that might be too late depending on when 1 and 2 get finished this also
can be done after squeeze...

Comments?
If approved, I'll start filing bugs for STEP 1 soon, and NMU after some time...

Regards,

Rene