[Debian-in-workers] The story so far...

Jaldhar H. Vyas Jaldhar H. Vyas" <jaldhar@debian.org
Mon, 19 Apr 2004 16:47:32 -0400 (EDT)

Here is a list of India-related software that is already packaged in
Debian (sid.)

iiimf-htt-le-indic        - Indic language engine for iiimf-htt-server
                            [What is this?  Did anyone try it?)
kde-i18n-bn               - Bengali translations for KDE
kde-i18n-hi               - Hindi translations for KDE
kde-i18n-ta               - Tamil translations for KDE
openoffice.org-l10n-hi-in - Hindi language package for openoffice.org
tamil-gtk2im              - Tamil input method for GTK-2
ttf-bangla-fonts          - Bengali truetype fonts
ttf-malayalam-fonts       - Malayalam truetype fonts
ttf-tamil-fonts           - Tamil truetype fonts

Did I miss anything?

Here is stuff I or a sponsee am packaging:

aspell-bn             - Bengali dictionary for aspell
libunicode-indic-perl - transliterate Indian languages from ASCII to Unicode
ttf-indic-fonts       - trutype fonts for Devanagari, Gujarati, and Gurmukhi.

And here is stuff that needs further investigation:

* Indian language packs for mozilla.  Are there any?

* Indlinux.orgs' milan live CD has a lot of translations for GNOME.  Have
  they been integrated into Debians' GNOME packages? (http://www.indlinux.org/)

* Ankur project has software and GNOME translations for Bengali.  How
  much of this needs to be added to Debian?  (http://www.banglinux.org/)

* Sarovar hosts some open source software relating to India.  Anything
  worth packaging? (http://www.sarovar.org/)

* Hindi dictionary.  Is this useful? worth packaging?
  (http://hindidict.sourceforge.net)

* The new Debian Installer.  Can we localize it in Indian languages?  My
  understanding is that the big problem is that it is currently text-mode
  only.  I don't think Indian languages can be displayed on the console.
  Is that true?  If it is, the stalled GTK+ frontend will have to be
  completed.  Can anyone do this?  Another suggestion was to localize the
  anaconda installer from Red Hat which has been ported to Debian by
  Progeny. (http://platform.progeny.com/anaconda/index.html)

Well that's what I have so far.  If you have anything to add please do.

--
Jaldhar H. Vyas <jaldhar@debian.org>