[Debian-in-workers] The story so far...

Guntupalli Karunakar karunakar@freedomink.org
Wed, 28 Apr 2004 18:36:42 +0530

On Wed, 28 Apr 2004 18:15:09 +0530
Guntupalli Karunakar <karunakar@freedomink.org> wrote:

> Here is a list of India-related software that is already packaged in
> Debian (sid.)
>
> Did I miss anything?
>
> Here is stuff I or a sponsee am packaging:
>
> aspell-bn             - Bengali dictionary for aspell
> libunicode-indic-perl - transliterate Indian languages from ASCII to
> Unicode
> ttf-indic-fonts       - trutype fonts for Devanagari, Gujarati, and
> Gurmukhi.

maybe a deb for all free indic opentype fonts can be made -
Indlinux-hindi 0.73 release contains most of them (this will be
updated in next week). all these fonts currently go in
/usr/share/fonts/indic/OpenType . Its better to have all indic fonts
in one place (ttf's only could go in /usr/share/fonts/indic/TrueType
), rather than scattered around.

> And here is stuff that needs further investigation:
>
> * Indian language packs for mozilla.  Are there any?

more info here
http://www.indlinux.org/wiki/index.php?TamingTheDragon

> * Indlinux.orgs' milan live CD has a lot of translations for GNOME.
> Have
>   they been integrated into Debians' GNOME packages?
> (http://www.indlinux.org/)
>
> * Ankur project has software and GNOME translations for Bengali.
> How
>   much of this needs to be added to Debian?
> (http://www.banglinux.org/)

All translations are included in GNOME cvs for that specific release.
most translations for apps are in their respective main trees.

> * Sarovar hosts some open source software relating to India.
> Anything
>   worth packaging? (http://www.sarovar.org/)

malayalam team page : smc.sarovar.org

> * Hindi dictionary.  Is this useful? worth packaging?
>   (http://hindidict.sourceforge.net)
>
> * The new Debian Installer.  Can we localize it in Indian languages?
>
> My
>   understanding is that the big problem is that it is currently
> text-mode
>   only.  I don't think Indian languages can be displayed on the
> console.
>   Is that true?  If it is, the stalled GTK+ frontend will have to be
>   completed.  Can anyone do this?  Another suggestion was to
>   localize
> the
>   anaconda installer from Red Hat which has been ported to Debian by
>   Progeny. (http://platform.progeny.com/anaconda/index.html)

Anaconda is a better choice, in fact we had done the translation for
Hindi for Redhat 8's version, so some incremental work I guess. I
think Bengali also has been worked on.

Regards,
Karunakar

--