[Debian-in-workers] suggestions for working on the installer needed

Guntupalli Karunakar karunakar@freedomink.org
Wed, 28 Apr 2004 20:12:36 +0530

On Wed, 28 Apr 2004 08:08:37 -0500
Rajesh Menon <rajeshmenon@nyu.edu> wrote:

> Hi, how's everyone doin?
> I had responded to an email that Cristian Perrier had sent out
> earlier lookin for HI translators. I would like to get working on
> it, but wasn't too sure on how to even get started as i've never
> even bothered about foreign languages before. So, I pushed myself to
> get it working on Emacs, and soon enough I realized why I had
> stopped using Emacs in the first place (installed the gettext pkg
> and everything shows up fine, but all the macros and keystroking
> just was taking too much time.)
>
> So, Christian suggested I try KBabel. And i tried it, but soon
> realized I needed to know wth all those .po files REALLY meant. I
> had thought, before I looked at this, that we just look at a string,
> translate to Hindi, and that's that. I guess that's not the way.
>
> So, I started from scratch reading the TLDP notes.
>
> Can someone suggest (and I know people on this list can) how I can
> work on this more effectively? Like the rest of y'all, I'm working,
> and also studying. So, any suggestions from you would be more than
> welcome (any particular docs to read, editors to use, packages to
> get....)

a rough text on howto do it is at
http://www.indlinux.org/hindi/gnome/howto.txt
I guess if you are trying to translate the text based installer then
it wont work, since Indic cannot be displayed in textmode well. some
GUI installer like anaconda can be done.

Regards,
Karunakar

--
Dream, Dream, Dream