[Debian-in-workers] Re: hello + UTF8

Jaldhar H. Vyas jaldhar at debian.org
Mon Aug 8 19:48:07 UTC 2005

On Mon, 8 Aug 2005, || सà¥~Mवà¤~Uà¥~Mष || svaksha  wrote:

> Strangely, this problem does not occur with the diirga (long) svara or
> any other svaras.  Is it possible that since the rhasva (short) svara
> (U+093F) occurs first (when moving from left to right), it should also
> be implemented first but usually we always write the consonants first
> and then the svara....... Maybe the program implements it that way and
> hence the error...... Just a thought that crossed my mind !
> Btw, even vyanjanasandhi (tra, kr, hr, ksh,...) does not render
> properly (as we usually write it). Reading it is difficult
> sometimes...  but thats for another thread :-)
>

>> I am in the middle of preparing a mozilla package with some patches added
>> which may help.  But its not finished yet.
>
> Can you refer any docus to read ... I saw  Pango.org and [1].
>

>> 1. Which font are you using?
>>

> In Ubuntu4.10, the Character map {Applications>Accessories>Character
> Map> Devanagari} allows 'drag-cut-paste' feature to create words,
> which renders properly on that dialog box. This can be pasted on any
> document.
> I dont use the keyboard as yet. Do I need to download fonts for this.
> Is there a howto for Ubuntu/Debian.

The fonts are for display.  If you are seeing any devanagari characters at
all, you must have some font containing those characters installed.  In
Debian/Ubuntu there is a package called ttf-devanagari-fonts (older
version before the scripts were split up was ttf-indic-fonts) Do you have
this package installed? In fact from the command-line do:

$ dpkg-query --show *fonts

and send me the output.

>> 2. Do you see the problem in all GTK-based apps or only some?  If so which
>>     ones.
>
> The problem occurs when the text is pasted on any application like
> firefox mozilla, OO and plain text files when i use gedit, etc...
> The character map (used to drag, cut and paste words) is a part of the
> Ubuntu distro as much as the gedit or firefox applications so why is
> the word correctly displayed there and jumbles when pasted on another
> application ? That is perplexing !

All these apps use an underlying code library called pango to render text.
If this is where the problem lies, it will affect all apps.  However, I
have succesfully used Devanagari text in pango-using apps (mozilla being
an exception) so I now think this could be a font-related problem.

--
Jaldhar H. Vyas <jaldhar at debian.org>