[Debian-in-workers] Re: [DebianIndia] Debian-IN

Abhas Abhinav abhas at deeproot.co.in
Mon Aug 22 06:41:46 UTC 2005

Hi Jaldhar...

On 02:06, Mon 22 Aug 05, Jaldhar H. Vyas wrote:
> Silly me.  It should be http://debian-in.alioth.debian.org/
>
> Join the project and the list then let me know what you are interested in
> working on.

I just joined the mailing list. And marking a cc: to it since the post
could be relevant there as well. (Hope its fine to cross-post - or if
everyone is subscribed to debian-in-workers, then the discussion could
shift there.)

I can think of quite a few things that I think need to be done. I would
be glad to contributed personally as much as possible.

There are a lot of parallel localisation efforts going on. One thing
that I found common among all of them is that they all started as
projects to create localised live CDs. Also most of the live CDs were
based on RH or FC - never on Debian. I feel that one of the first
things to do is to package their work for Debian users against Debian
unstable and make it possible for Debian users to use work done by
IndLinux or Janabhaaratii people.

The end result could be to just configure another apt-source, install
a 'debian-in' meta package and have an alternate locale installed and
configured for immediate use.

Then it would be easier to users and developers to contribute in
terms of translation or feedback or development.

Of course, a lot of IndLinux work does go back upstream into Gnome,
but a lot of that doesn't happen right away. Most of the times, the
work remains limited to a live CD and a live CD-based installer -
especially for smaller localisation initiatives.

So - what I'm basically pointing out is that we need to first commoditise
all the localisation work done so far. It could be for Mozilla, Gnome,
KDE or anything else.

A way to get started could be to make a list of packages that need to be
developed. And then Debian-IN members could share responsibility of this
work. I would be glad to develop an initial list and mail back very soon
- ie. of course, if everyone feels that this is one way to get started.

I've not yet read the Debian-IN mailing list archives - but will do that
soon so that I get a perspective on how we can contribute.

If you feel that there are some more higher priority tasks that need
prior attention, I'll be glad to take your feedback to see if I can
participate on them.

Cheers,
Abhas.
--