[Debian-in-workers] Re: Starting D-I translation effort for Bangla - step 4

Christian Perrier bubulle at debian.org
Wed Aug 24 18:05:48 UTC 2005

> > (I prefer checking in case there are differences in scripts...)
> Well, IIRC there is no difference in the script or the language per
> se. It's just the locale. To be doubly sure, I will ask people who
> might know. And IMO, the translation should be readily adaptable for
> bn_BD with minor changes, if any.

Well, if there's no difference in script, then we go. I would prefer
avoiding differences in translations for bn_IN and bn_BD except if the
written languages are *really* different.

We avoid different translation for Spanish in Spain and Spanish in
Latin America, even if there are a differences in the way people speak
(and sometimes translate some technical terms). Same for French and
many other languages spoken in different countries...so, except when
really really needed, I prefer avoiding different translation efforts.

Let's move to next step as I marked the "locale" step completed.

"3.4.  Localized language name

The localechooser entry will show both the English official name of the language as well as its translated name.

The language coordinator must provide the translation of the new
language name (with an initial capital letter if capital letters make
sense in this language) and send it to the Debian Installer i18n
coordinators as a single UTF-8 file. UTF-8 is mandatory here. For
instance, the French translator will send a file containing the single
word: Français. "

So, here I need you send me a file with the name of the Bangla
language alone on a line (of course, written with the appropriate
script).