[Debian-in-workers] Starting D-I translation effort for Bangla - step 6

Christian Perrier bubulle at debian.org
Thu Aug 25 16:27:05 UTC 2005

> Umm. I don't have any concrete stats with me, but I know well that
> there are more bengali speakers in present Bangladesh than India. So I
> guess, it quite logical to put bn_BD as the default locale.
> So go ahead and commit it ...

OK, entry added....

So, now for the 6th step....a little bit more complicated:

3.6.  Needed characters

The language coordinator must provide a file containing all characters
needed for properly displaying the language, not including characters
which are part of the ASCII character set (characters in the 32-127
range). This file will be used by the font reduction mechanism (the
UTF-8 font used in Debian Installer is reduced for size constraints)
and is needed for all Latin languages and all non-Latin languages with
reasonably sized alphabet. If the new language uses hundreds or
thousands of characters, the use of this file is not needed and the
translator should rather check that the bterm-unifont package includes
all characters needed by the language. Content example for French:

àâéèëêïîôùûüÿÀÂÉÈËÊÔÙÛÜÇ°

This means that the file you'll send me for bn needs to include both
the non combined AND the combined glyphs, I suspect.

For instance, if this may be of some help to you, here's the file sent
by the Hindi translator.