[Debian-in-workers] Re: Fwd: debian-in-workers@lists.alioth.debian.org; pravi.a@gmail.com; anivar@hackemail.com;vimaljoseph@gmail.com

Christian Perrier bubulle at debian.org
Tue Dec 19 10:55:44 CET 2006

> I am pleased to see that the allegations raised by a certain
> individual some time back that modifications to the Rachana font which
> were under orginally released under the GNU GPL were subsequently
> prohibited by the Rachana Akshara Kala Vedi has proved to be false by
> the mail from Mr. Hussain KH (Rachana Font Designer and Project
> Co-ordinator).

Well, naming people if you have conflicts with them would help. Sorry to
be a little rude here, but I suspect some underlying conflicts in which
I'm totally an outsider and don't want to take position. But at least, I
want to understand and try to figure out the whole picture..:-)

> Thanks also to everyone especially to Christian, Jaldhar, Pravi and
> Soumyadip for all the support rendered thus far towards the Malayalam
> localisation of Debian.
>

> The Debian-IN Malayalam localisation team has always supported the use
> of Rachana fonts. We also wish the Rachana Akshara Kala Vedi all the
> very best in the noble fight they are undertaking to protect the
> traditional malayalam orthography.

You already explained me the difference between a "traditional" and
"simplified" way to write Malayalam. What I understand is that local
authorities have supported the simplified orthography (I guess with the
intent to improve literacy...something that was done in China in the
communist years). Am I right?

Is that what is called "Old Lipi"/""New Lipi"?

Even though I perfectly understand that wanting to keep the traditional
writing style alive is a perfectly valid opinion (preserve cultural
heritage, etc.), I have the concern of pragmatism when dealing with
FLOSS localisation: I want our localisation work to be *used*. So, do
you confirm me that the choice of the "traditional" orthography will not
make the Malayalam translation an "elite" translation?