[Debian-in-workers] Re: Fwd: debian-in-workers@lists.alioth.debian.org; pravi.a@gmail.com; anivar@hackemail.com; vimaljoseph@gmail.com

പ്രവീണ്‍‌|Praveen pravi.a at gmail.com
Tue Dec 19 12:39:43 CET 2006

2006/12/19, Christian Perrier <bubulle at debian.org>:
> You already explained me the difference between a "traditional" and
> "simplified" way to write Malayalam. What I understand is that local
> authorities have supported the simplified orthography (I guess with the
> intent to improve literacy...something that was done in China in the
> communist years). Am I right?

No.  The alphabet were cut down to fit it into the typewriter and that is
not required any more with the advancements in computing.

Is that what is called "Old Lipi"/""New Lipi"?

Old Lipi is the traditional and New Lipi is the trimmed down one.

Even though I perfectly understand that wanting to keep the traditional
> writing style alive is a perfectly valid opinion (preserve cultural
> heritage, etc.), I have the concern of pragmatism when dealing with
> FLOSS localisation: I want our localisation work to be *used*. So, do
> you confirm me that the choice of the "traditional" orthography will not
> make the Malayalam translation an "elite" translation?

Traditional malyalam is already chosen by malayalm computing community
(blogs, wikipedia ...). And the poular newspapers and other media has used a
mix and it would not be for elite (I can testify my experience as I have
been taught the new Lipi in school and I have no problem using the Old

As Vivek already pointed out the choice of traditional orthography alone
won't block the acceptance.

"Value your freedom, or you will lose it, teaches history.
`Don't bother us with politics', respond those who don't want to learn."
         -- Richard Stallman
Me scribbles at http://www.pravi.co.nr