[Debian-in-workers] [g-i] all fonts are in -- please test

Davide Viti zinosat at tiscali.it
Thu Feb 23 22:56:14 UTC 2006

Hi,
I built a new g-i image [1] should finally work with (almost) all
languages currently supported by the installer: AFAICT only Vietnamese
has some problems (sorry Clytie) due to missing glyphs in current
ttf-freefont. As I said before my goal is to finalize fonts before
beta2 is out, so that when g-i will be merged into trunk, fonts will
be in a decent state and we can focus on pushing other aspects of the
graphical installer.

The delta between the latest official iso [2] and the one I just uploaded
is the switch to nazli fonts for rendering Arabic / Persian (I included the
bold version too). I did not strip any glyphs from any of the fonts.

I've been told that both Arabic and Persian look ok, apart from the fact that
font size is too small: we can fix that later.

Please test the image and let us know if there's any regression: I'm particularly
interested to know if non-latin languages still look ok (Indic scripts in particular).

Lately Attilio and myself played with the idea of finding a way to
automatically create screenshots for all languages via a script; I'm
glad to announce that Attilio has just committed a new version of
"gtk_font_tester.c" in [3].

Now we have quite a few scripts for testing stripping and manipulating
fonts: my next goal will be fixing / documenting / using such scripts.

regards,
Davide

[1] http://www.webalice.it/zinosat/g-i/mini_20060223.iso
[2] http://people.debian.org/~fjp/d-i/gtk-miniiso/daily/i386/mini.iso
[3] svn://svn.debian.org/svn/d-i/trunk/scripts/g-i