[Debian-in-workers] (forw) Re: Country names for Bengali

Christian Perrier bubulle at debian.org
Sun Feb 26 06:38:12 UTC 2006

I forgot keeping the CC list to debian-in-workers. If answering,
please CC debian-boot at lists.debian.org

----- Forwarded message from Christian Perrier <bubulle at debian.org> -----

Date: Sun, 26 Feb 2006 07:36:40 +0100
From: Christian Perrier <bubulle at debian.org>
To: debian-boot at lists.debian.org
Subject: Re: Country names for Bengali

Quoting Jamil Ahmed (itsjamil at gmail.com):
> After selecting the language: "Bengali - ?????" while using
> graphical D-I [1], the next screen shows a list of country names [2].
>
> May I know why "India" is listed above "Bangladesh" for Bengali language?

Political conspiracy or.....alphabetical order? :-)

Sorting the country names in the short lists is done while building
localechooser (actually, this is what makes building localechooser so
long).

It is done by the following code:

      LOCPATH=`pwd` LC_ALL=debian/locales/$lastlocale.UTF-8 sort -k 2.1 $outfile > $outfile.tmp && mv $outfile.tmp $outfile

In short, country names are sorted according to the given language's
locale.

So, what actually sorts India before Bengladesh is the bn_BD locale
collation rules:

>From /usr/share/i18n/locales/bn_BD
title      "Bengali/Bangla language locale for Bangladesh"
source     "Ankur Group, http://www.ankurbangla.org, http://www.bengalinux.org"
address    "Dhaka, Bangladesh"
contact    "Taneem Ahmed, Jamil Ahmed"
.../...
LC_COLLATE
% TODO: Bengali sorting should be added
copy "iso14651_t1"
END LC_COLLATE

Good luck for fixing this...if this needs fixing.

To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-boot-REQUEST at lists.debian.org

----- End forwarded message -----