[Debian-in-workers] Foss.in/2007: Debian's plan..

Christian Perrier bubulle at debian.org
Thu Aug 9 06:57:15 UTC 2007

Quoting Kartik Mistry (kartik.mistry at gmail.com):

(in two lists related to "Debian in India" and "Debian developers and
contributors in India")

> On 8/9/07, Jaldhar H. Vyas <jaldhar at debian.org> wrote:
> > What does Sam think about sponsoring your travel?  (Accomodation and
> > meals are provided by the organizers.)  Branden authorized me to attend in
> > 2005 so there is a precedent.  And it would be a worthwhile use of project
> > funds IMO.
> >
> > (Having had the opportunity once, modesty prevents me from asking again
> > but if the DPL lets me go too, I won't say no :-)
>
> We will love to see you both. Is it possible that DPL can come here?
> Just my thought. Don't know if it possible.
>
> Jaldhar/Christian, can you ask him? I think Bdale (DPL at that time)
> came in 2004 to attend Linux Bangalore (Former name of Foss.in).

The best is certainly asking him, after all.

Sam (nd Bdale), all this is about plans to participate to Foss.in, by
far the largest FLOSS event in India, at the beginning of December, in
Bangalore.

I personnally mentioned in the the two CC'ed lists, that it's quite a
long time since I'm considering to find a way to attend that event. I
involved myself quite a bit to promote the use and development of
Debian in the entire South Asia region, thus developing an early small
"network" of informal connections (and more formal ones, like the one
in Bhutan).

I seriously consider proposing a paper for Foss.in and I was indeed
trying to find a way to fund the travel.

Kartik suggested that you, Sam, could also maybe attend the event
(also with the problem of funding the travel) and the best is probably
talking with you about this. Certainly, having the DPL at Foss.in
would be a great achievement. Really, I can testimony it, this is the
most important FLOSS event in India.

Kartik, you mentioned Bdale attending in 2004. He was not the DPL at
that time and I'm pretty sure that such travel was funded through
Bdale's professionnal travels (somethign neither Sam or I can do) and
was part of Bdale's regular "HP/Linux" evangelization.

This, indeed, opens a possible alternate way of funding such
participation and, as of now, the 3 possibilities I see are:

- funding by organizers (dunno if that's possible)
- funding by Debian (not exactly the usual way-->most often, the
participation of Debian "representatives" is better funded by external
means and Debian funds are used in quite rare cases, afaik
- funding by an external sponsor

I would be interested to hear about your respective comments, people
(please note that both lists may have a closed policy when non
subscribers post, unfortunately, which would, also unfortunately, turn
such discussion into a private one)