[Debian-in-workers] Question about Sans/Serif aliases

Soumyadip Modak soumyadip.modak at gmail.com
Wed Aug 29 12:22:30 UTC 2007

On 8/29/07, Arne Goetje <arne.goetje at canonical.com> wrote:

> No, you didn't. :)
>
> Although, I planned to have one -core and one -extra package for each
> script... All core fonts in one package would mean the -extra packages
> depend on the -core package? Or how do we make sure that the fonts are
> not duplicate on the users' systems?
> Do Indian users usually install all Indic fonts, or only those for the
> language they speak?

For Ubuntu at least, all the fonts are installed by default as
ttf-indic-fonts (the metapackage) is installed by default. Generally
ordinary users will probably install all the fonts. However, a case
could be made for individual font packages being installed in
deployments (E.G. Government offices)

> If everyone agrees, do you want to do the change in the debian package
> first and I sync from there?
>
> Otherwise I would need a list of preferred fonts for each script in
> order to change the package in Ubuntu first.

I suppose either way might do. In the first case I'd request you to
join Debian-Indic workers mailing list (don't worry, it isn't a
high-volume list :) ) since we use the address of the mailing list as
the maintainer address. In the second case, you could send the patches
to Jaldhar, Kartik or me, and we'd apply the patches.

--
Soumyadip Modak
soumyadip.modak at gmail.com
soumyadip at ubuntu-in.org