[Debian-in-workers] [smc-discuss] New g03 version of Rachana and Meera

Praveen A pravi.a at gmail.com
Sat Jan 26 06:23:16 UTC 2008

2008/1/25, സുറുമ || suruma <surumafonts at gmail.com>:

> The new deb(version:0.5.2) with the g03 versions of  Rachana and Meera
> are available at http://suruma.sarovar.org/deb/fonts/
>
> In g03 versions:
>
> 1.  the internal font names are now changed.
> 2. The isolated and unintended display of RA/LA postbase forms(as in
> ഹിറ്റ്ലര്‍,കൊയ്രാള,മൊയ്ലി etc.) are fixed.
>
> ChangeLog: http://suruma.sarovar.org/deb/fonts/ChangeLog

Suresh,

Thanks for making this change. A couple of questions.

1) Now that we know g* fonts work in uniscribe (Ralminov confirmed it
with Vista, anyone volunteering to test it with XP?), do we need to
maintain two separate versions (w* and g*), we can just keep
Rachana_version. What do you think?
2) Since we are going forward with maintaining this, should we ask
Soumyadeep to let us maintain this package for debian? (ccing
debian-in) In that case we could just remove -sm part and make it the
default. Now we are duplicating efforts. Are you subscribed to
debian-in-workers?

Soumyadeep,

 Now we are maintaining Rachana fonts and MalOtf, so smc is the
upstream for ttf-malayalam-fonts. New releases comes at
http://suruma.sarovar.org/deb/fonts/ It also includes new OpenType
font Meera and suruma. What do you think is the best way to keep the
packages updated and not duplicate efforts? We might have to go
through the new package process because 2 new fonts are coming in.

May be you can continue to own the package but you won't need much
work maintaining it as upstream itself is releasing the deb package.

(smc-discuss is members only, so reply all won't work)

Rajeesh,

Can you make a spec file that uses this tarball directly? What name
the rpm should have? I think suruma-fonts-malayalam fits the Fedora
naming convention with it providing fonts-malayalam like lohit does.

Ani,

 We need these fonts to be included in Fedora proper, ball is now in your court.

Suresh can include all these changes and make a ttf-malayalam-fonts
and Rachana_04

Regards
Praveen
--