[Debian-in-workers] [smc-discuss] New g03 version of Rachana and Meera

Soumyadip Modak soumyadip.modak at gmail.com
Sat Jan 26 07:25:13 UTC 2008

2008/1/26 Christian Perrier <bubulle at debian.org>:
> Quoting Praveen A (pravi.a at gmail.com):
>
> > Soumyadeep,
> >
> >  Now we are maintaining Rachana fonts and MalOtf, so smc is the
> > upstream for ttf-malayalam-fonts. New releases comes at
> > http://suruma.sarovar.org/deb/fonts/ It also includes new OpenType
> > font Meera and suruma. What do you think is the best way to keep the
> > packages updated and not duplicate efforts? We might have to go
> > through the new package process because 2 new fonts are coming in.
> >
> > May be you can continue to own the package but you won't need much
> > work maintaining it as upstream itself is releasing the deb package.
> >
> > (smc-discuss is members only, so reply all won't work)
> >
> > Rajeesh,
> >

> It is maybe time to think about the status of ttf-indic-fonts in
> Debian. Currently, that source package is a collection of various
> stuff of different origins.
>
> It makes things hard to gather together and maintain, imho. While it
> may make sense for fonts that are loosely maintained, in the case of
> Malayalam fonts, where maintenance seems pretty active (identified
> upstream repository for instance), it could be a better idea to split
> the package out of ttf-indic-fonts and have a maintenance that's as
> close of upstream as possible.

What about the udeb?

IMHO (feel free to disregard my opinion, since the ttf-indic-fonts
metapackage is maintained not by me but by Debian-in), it is better to
let the community maintain the package. I've faced way too many
problems in the past where somebody says include this font, and
another asks me why did you include that font. I personally feel it is
best to have a single volunteer association maintain the font
packages. That way, we have a reasonable chance of unanimity.

--
Soumyadip Modak
soumyadip.modak at gmail.com
soumyadip at ubuntu-in.org