[Debian-in-workers] Errors in Lohit Tamil font and its rendering in Kubuntu 8.04 (Hardy)

R (Chandra) Chandrasekhar chandra at ee.uwa.edu.au
Tue Jun 10 06:33:23 UTC 2008

Dear Folks,

I am writing to inform you of errors that I have discovered in the rendering of
the "sh" and "shrI" characters in Lohit Tamil fonts bundled in K/Ubuntu, which I
have been using.

I do not know who the font designers are, so I am filing this bug report with
you as maintainers of the original Debian package

ttf-indic-fonts

which I believe contributes to the Ubuntu package

ttf-indic-fonts-core.

Firstly, the package mostly works well; congratulations for that.

The specific errors for the Lohit Tamil font are these:

1. The ITRANS Tamil character "sh" in Lohit Tamil is rendered as ஶ் : the dot
above or pulli should be over the character rather than beside it. Most other
consonants are rendered correctly. For example, the consonant "k" is correctly
rendered as க். I have been told that the "font must have a correct GPOS table
for pulli positioning and the rendering engine must utilise that information
when drawing the glyph" for the character to show up correctly. Of the two, I
think it more likely that it is the font rather than the rendering system that
is likely to be faulty because க் shows up correctly.

2. The character "shrI" should properly be rendered as ஸ்ரீ. This character should
correctly be Unicode 0BB6 + 0BCD + 0BB0 + 0BC0 whereas in Lohit Tamil (and
possibly other Tamil fonts) it is made from Unicode 0BB8 + 0BCD + 0BB0 + 0BC0,
which is wrong. This should be corrected to accord with "The Unicode Standard,
Revision 5.0", p 325.

If this is the wrong list to send my email to, please let me know where to send
it. If you need me to file a Launchpad bug, kindly advise me as well.

Many thanks.

Chandra
10 Jun 08
--