[Debian-in-workers] [DebianIndia] Fwd: Debian Installer lenny release candidate 1

G Karunakar indlinux at gmail.com
Thu Nov 13 10:47:46 UTC 2008

2008/11/13 Christian Perrier <bubulle at debian.org>:
> Quoting Kartik Mistry (kartik.mistry at gmail.com):
>> Test. test. test!
>

> Well, actually, the "test test test" is better having *before* we
> release...:-)
>
> The name "Release candidate" may be msleading, but this installer is
> really how the final lenny installer will look like. It could even be
> the installer used by lenny....
>
> So, if bugs are discovered during testing, they're likely to go in the
> errata file more than being fixed.
>
> There will be an RC2, but that one is more mandatory to get updated
> kernel packages enter testing and that's mostly all.
>
> The only issue I'd really like to see fixed is the issue faced for
> Dzongkha installs (mentioned in the errata file and reported as
> #505408).
>
> Please also note that, during the RC1 heavy tests last week-end, I
> personnally only "tested" Hindi installs....though, as you might
> figure out, the only thing I can confirm is that it works to the end
> (including a full desktop system install) and displays what is at
> least apparently a Devanagari script.....
>
> Something that hasn't been worked on *at all* are the X keymap choices
> for all Indic-based scripts.
>
> When one chooses languages from india, what are the expected settings
> in xorg.conf wrt keymap?
>
> We would need:
> XKbLayout, XkbModel, XKbVariant
> (XKbModel is likely to be pc105)

In current xorg, they keymaps are all in one layout  'in' , rest become variants
so  in (deva)  ->  Devanagari   - this is default!
      in (bolnagri)  ->  Devanagari phonetic (this might be newbie
safe, since they may still figure what they are typing)
 so on other variants
      ben  ->  Bengali
      ben_probhat  ->  Bengali phonetic
      guj  -  Gujarati
      kan - Kannada
      mal -  Malayalam
      mal_lalitha   - Malayalam transliterated
      ori  - Oriya
      tam - Tamil
      tel - Telugu
      guru - Gurumukhi (Punjabi)
      jhelum - Punjabi inscript refined
      urd   - Urdu

So above could be set for each language as required, though its safe
to  just default to english, since there arent much fields which could
take Indic input to mean valid (eg, username, password , mount path
etc).

Regards,
Karunakar