[Debian-in-workers] Moving to Git and all

Christian PERRIER bubulle at debian.org
Mon Aug 29 16:21:44 UTC 2011

Quoting Vasudev Kamath (kamathvasudev at gmail.com):

> Also I need suggestion on if its okay to make all lohit packages as
> default for d-i?

For reference in this thread, here are the fonts we're using in D-I:

# Fonts: see http://wiki.debian.org/DebianInstaller/GUIFonts
ttf-freefont-udeb
ttf-farsiweb-udeb
ttf-cjk-compact-udeb
ttf-tmuni-udeb
ttf-dejavu-udeb
ttf-khmeros-udeb
ttf-thai-tlwg-udeb
ttf-tamil-fonts-udeb
ttf-malayalam-fonts-udeb
ttf-kannada-fonts-udeb
ttf-telugu-fonts-udeb
ttf-sil-abyssinica-udeb
ttf-sinhala-lklug-udeb
ttf-lao-udeb
fonts-ukij-uyghur-udeb

So, for Indic languages, we have 5 font packages plus ttf-freefont
covering Devanagari, Gujarati, Gurmukhi and Bengali scripts. It would
certainly be good if we could restrict this..:-)

That brings two, no, three, questions :

- Are glyphs provided by FreeFont OK for the above 4 fonts?
- What scripts are covered by Lohit fonts?
- If some scripts are covered by Lohit, are speakers of these
languages OK to switch to Lohit?