[Debian-in-workers] Understanding fontconfig conffiles

Mahesh T. Pai paivakil at gmail.com
Sun Dec 4 14:17:45 UTC 2011

Vasudev Kamath said on Sun, Dec 04, 2011 at 12:19:53AM +0530,:

 > Scenario is now that we are splitting ttf-indic-fonts there will be 2
 > types of package one with active upstream which goes into its own
 > package and one without active upstream which goes into
 > fonts-$LANG-extra for which Debian-IN will be acting as upstream. Some
 > upstream provides their own conf file like lohit project does. So if I
 > install 2 separate conf file lets say 90-fonts-lohit-knda.conf and
 > 90-fonts-knda-extra.conf how will fontconfig reacts to this? I feel
 > this is a serious issue because language community won't like their
 > default font to be changed all of a sudden.

First thought - how about the installer scripts looking for existence
of the other package, and if the other package is found, the user is
asked to make a choice. If some value is assigned to the questions,
debconf will decide (depending on the user's preferences) whether the
question should be asked at all; and a "dpkg-reconfigure $package"
will always ask the question.

Like installing kdm while gdm / xdm is installed and then being asked
to choose between the display managers.

--
Mahesh T. Pai   ||
A closed mouth gathers no feet.