[Debian-in-workers] License for Pothana2000 and Vemana fonts for Telugu

Veeven veeven at gmail.com
Sat Dec 24 05:18:47 UTC 2011

23 డిసెంబర్ 2011 11:19 సా న, Vasudev Kamath <kamathvasudev at gmail.com> ఇలా
రాసారు :

> Hello all,
>
> While preparing fonts-telu-extra I used fontforge to open up
> Pothana2000 and Vemana fonts from ttf-telugu-fonts and I got a
> question from fontforge that these fonts are *restricted* from
> *editing* and do I have proper permission.

Hi Vasudev,

I've just checked. I think we are using the wrong files in Debian. The
maker of these fonts has separate files for packaging for Linux:

Pothana2000: http://kavya-nandanam.com/Pothana2k-Li.zip
Vemana2000: http://kavya-nandanam.com/Vemana2k-Li.zip

From: http://kavya-nandanam.com/dload.htm.old

I tried opening the .ttf files in these archives, fontforge did not throw
any warning. Probably, we should use these ttf files than the ones we are
currently using.

> Now I don't know to what extent we can support these fonts in Debian
> but since they are only fonts for Telugu I want to know your
> suggestions especially from Telugu community members

These are not the only fonts for Telugu. We have lohit_te also.

Thanks,
Veeven.