[Debian-in-workers] Final Schedule for MiniDebconf Mangalore Edition

॥ स्वक्ष: ॥ vid at svaksha.com
Tue Sep 27 08:26:31 UTC 2011

Hello Christian,

On Tue, Sep 27, 2011 at 06:46, Christian PERRIER <bubulle at debian.org> wrote:
> Thanks for publishing this. While at it, I might need help in
> organizing my own days around mini Debconf.
>
> As already written, I'll arive on Oct 25th at Mangalore airport and
> leave on 31th from there too.
>
> So what I need to organize is the following;
>
> - finding a hotel in Mangalore for 25-26, 26-27
> - having a mean of transportation in Mangalore for 25-27
> - finding a way to go from Mangalore to MNAMIT
> - finding a hotel or any other kind of hosting closer to NMAMIT Nitte
> (my understanding is that it is "not so close" from Mangalore, about
> 50km) for 27-28, 28-29 and maybe 29-30
> - finding a way to come back to Mangalore either on 29th after the
> conference, or on 30th very early (I have to be in Mangalore on 30th
> to meetup with a friend)
> - again finding an hotel for 30-31 and maybe also 29-30 in Mangalore
> (can be the same than in the days before the conference
>
> Hotel recommendations for Mangalore are very welcome. Don't worry
> about the price or at least not at first glance..:-). I would welcome
> an hotel where booking can be made online or by mail.

On searching I found a few hotels but I am not aware about the
Mangalore local space (in terms of hotel's central location, their
cleanliness and hygiene standards, etc... ) so I'll let a local
volunteer recommend after checking. But, since you mentioned that
price is not an impediment, I thought I should mention that I've heard
good things about the Ginger Hotels
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ginger_Hotels, if they are the same Tata
group as mentioned in the travel portals below).

[0] http://www.travelguru.com/india-hotels/mangalore-hotels.html
[1] http://www.expedia.com/Mangalore-Hotels.d1654.Travel-Guide-Hotels
[2] http://www.makemytrip.com/hotels/mangalore-hotels.html
[3] http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotels-g297630-Mangalore_Karnataka-Hotels.html
[4] http://www.cleartrip.com/hotels/india/mangalore/

> Transportation is important for me if I want to do sightseeing and
> also for the Mangalore-NMAMIT travel. You can easily understand that
> relying on local public transport is kinda adventurous and not so easy
> to figure out from here..:-). Car hiring would be much better and
> again, hopefully, money is not the main obstacle.

Most car rental companies would have tie-ups with 3*,4* and 5* hotels
so you can ask the hotel manager to make car-rental arrangements. Hope
the above information helps :)

> Anyway, any help is appreciated as I see the dates coming closer and
> closer, I know this will be Diwali time and I fear of being in
> trouble. So, again, any local help will be immensely appreciated..:-)

Also, October to March is peak tourist season in India, the most
difficult (and daresay, expensive) time to get flights and hotel
accommodation.

॥ स्वक्ष: ॥ http://svaksha.com