[Debian-in-workers] Final Schedule for MiniDebconf Mangalore Edition

Mahesh T. Pai paivakil at gmail.com
Thu Sep 29 17:25:09 UTC 2011

Disclaimer - I am not very familiar with geography of the event
location; so I may get things very wrong.

Christian PERRIER said on Tue, Sep 27, 2011 at 08:46:08AM +0200,:

 > As already written, I'll arive on Oct 25th at Mangalore airport and
 > leave on 31th from there too.

Mangalore airport is more close to venue. The venue is more close to
"Karkala" than Mangalore.

You may be better off taking a hotel (that is, if the hosts are not
providing you accomodation for out of the event days - I has been
mentioned already), try staying at Udupi or Manipal.

Kediyoor at Manipal would be my choice. There is also a "hotel
management" college co-managed by the Welcomgroup @ Manipal.

Manipal is a "Education city", full of colleges, a hospital, (medical
college), and is very well developed infrastructure wise. Udupi is a
temple town. Therefore, both places have good places to stay.

Aside - for those taking Konkan railway, would'nt it be better to get
off at Udupi than at Mangalore?

 > Transportation is important for me if I want to do sightseeing and
 > also for the Mangalore-NMAMIT travel. You can easily understand that

Taxi fares in Kerala are around 12-14 INR per _running KM_. They will
charge you either per running KM, or between INR 100 - 150 (depending
on how well the vehicle is maintained) as "waiting" charges. If you
take the taxi for 50 KM round trip (that is, 25 KM each way), and take
8 hours for it, you will be obviously charged on the per hour basis.
If you finish the trip in 2 hours, you will be charged on running KM
basis. You will need to pay return fare for one way trips.

The above are charges in Kerala. You are visiting Karnataka, and rates
are slightly higher - expect to pay around 10-25% higher.

 > relying on local public transport is kinda adventurous and not so
 > easy to figure out from here..:-). Car hiring would be much better
 > and again, hopefully, money is not the main obstacle.

Heh. I have visited Udupi, Manipal and couple of surrounding places as
a tourist, and it was not easy for us.  You are right here.

As mentioned, most hotels have "attached" taxi services - so haggle
and drive a hard bargain. Foreigners are always charged a premium. You
have an indication of what to expect above.

Do visit Moodbidri, and Karkala, and the surroundings - especially the
caves. Those are mosty religious places for Jains, and sightseeing for
tourists.

--
Mahesh T. Pai   ||
Sent from my Gooseberry.