[Debian-in-workers] Indic language hyphenation packages update

Balasankar C balasankarc at autistici.org
Sat Oct 10 05:51:49 UTC 2015

Hi,

On ബുധന്‍ 05 ആഗസ്റ്റ് 2015 09:03 രാവിലെ, Vasudev Kamath wrote:

> The original packagers for those packages are currently MIA. And as I
> told earlier I don't have enough time to spend on fixing and updating
> the pacakges. So if any one cares about their status in Debian I think
> its the right time they step in and take over the maintenance.

I am a user of Malayalam hyphenation and would like it to be included in
Debian. I know about the existing repo in alioth, but since it was
outdated I decided to prepare the packaging of latest version. As
hyphen-* packages doesn't updates frequently, I think I can handle the
maintenance of it.
Since I wasn't interested in (and am almost a noob when it comes to)
packaging using CDBS, I prepared the package using debhelper and have
pushed the result to my personal Gitlab repo [1]. There are a few doubts
I would like to clear before I push it to alioth repo

1. Should I just delete the existing repo and create a new one? Or
should I update the existing repo and replace the contents of debian/
subdirectory? I was thinking of doing the first one, since the package
is not yet in the archive and hence have no 'packaging history' to be
preserved. Still, I have no issues with the second choice also.

2. How should the watch file be formed, since upstream serves all
hyphen-* packages in a single repo? Can we restructure the existing
setup and consider a package named hyphen-indic which creates all the
individual binaries? In that case, I think the maintenance would be
easier as we need to take care of only a single upstream source.

--
Regards
Balasankar C