[Debian-in-workers] Merging multiple hyphen-* packages to one

Jaldhar H. Vyas jaldhar at debian.org
Mon Oct 12 02:46:01 UTC 2015

On Sat, 10 Oct 2015, Balasankar C wrote:

> Hi,
>
> [ You are getting this mail because you are listed as a co-maintainer of
> a hyphen-* package maintained by Debian-IN team. CC'ing the team to have
> a publicly available archive of this mail. ]
>
> As you may have read from another thread [1] in Debian-IN mailing list,
> the hyphen-* packages maintained by Debian-IN has same repository [2] as
> upstream source (because SMC, the upstream, moved from savannah to
> Gitlab recently). I suggest that we create a single package hyphen-indic
> which creates the binaries for all of these individual hyphen-*
> packages. Since all of them share the same source tarball, doing the
> same work again and again for different packages is wastage of time and
> energy. If we form this single package, updating should be done only on
> that single package, which saves us both time and energy. Unlike fonts,
> hyphen-* packages are not at all updated individually, but all at once
> (even these updations occur rarely). So, creating a hyphen-indic package
> seems to be the better choice., IMO
>
> Please respond ASAP with your opinion about doing it, and thus merging
> the hyphen-* package you maintain to hyphen-indic (Just to have a time
> frame, I request you to reply within 2 weeks so that we don't fall to an
> indefinite wait. Hope that is ok. :) )

Yes go ahead and do it.  I think nowadays the management software used by
ftpmaster is smart enough to autoremove source packages when it sees that
binaries are no longer being built from them but if not you will have to
file bug reports to get them removed after the new combined source has
entered the archive.  Other than that there shouldn't be any problems.

Debhelper is much more mainstream and would be my choice for packaging but
use it, CDBS, or whatever you are comfortable with.

Debian packaging should be done on alioth not gitlab or elsewhere.  It
will be more visible that way.

--
Jaldhar H. Vyas <jaldhar at debian.org>