[Debian-iot-maintainers] Moving the mosquitto package to upstreams 2.0.17

Carsten Schoenert c.schoenert at t-online.de
Mon Sep 4 15:38:41 BST 2023

Hi Joachim,

Am 02.09.23 um 17:28 schrieb Joachim Zobel:

> Beeing in the debian-iot packaging team for a very short time this is
> not a decision I should or want to make.

why not? With power comes responsibility. :-)
But currently there is no ruling within the IoT group how you need to
organize "your" package, except a friendly reminder to use gbp.

https://wiki.debian.org/Teams/pkg-iot

> I personally would not put the upstream sources into version control.
> Putting something into vcs that I do not intend to modify seems
> pointless to me.

Holding the upstream sources within the packaging repo has advantages,
you can easily cherry-picking commit or also prepare merge requests
against the upstream project. This all depends an the need and the
amount of work that is needed.
I have no count and number, but I expect gbp is mostly the leading
helper system.

> I am however willing to follow any decision on how to handle this for
> mosquitto. If it is common to have upstream and/or pristine-tar
> branches we should go that way.

The typical minimal set is to have a branch 'upstream' where the
upstream tarballs will end in, a packaging branch 'debian/sid'
(following DEP 14 [1]) and also a 'pristine-tar' branch.

gbp can handle all the workflow for importing a new source version,
commit the pristine-tar data, working with potential needed patches and
create a changelog entry with the shorted hash IDs.

> I'll check and if no one steps forward with another decision within a
> week or two I'll do that.

Take your time to review exciting packages and do a comparison to your
actual work, prevent pushing stuff to the group repository in case you
are not convinced it's o.k., use a repository within your namespace to
do the WIP work.

Ask in case of specific questions here on the list or feel free to query
me directly if this is more comfortable for you.

[1] https://dep-team.pages.debian.net/deps/dep14/

--
Regards
Carsten