[Debian-l10n-devel] What to backup? (was: Re: (forw) Cron <root at churro> /usr/bin/rsnapshot hourly)

Christian Perrier bubulle at debian.org
Sun Jul 13 06:02:34 UTC 2008

Quoting Felipe Augusto van de Wiel (faw) (faw at funlabs.org):

> 	Actually it is quite hard to mirror everything, it
> seems that a lot of $HOME and other directories contain
> data being completely regenerated, which is bad for the
> rsnapshot model of using hardlinks.
>
> 	The question is: what can I exclude from the
> backup that could be regenerated from the data on the
> bakcup?

/home/bubulle entirely

in /home/eddyp, there's a giant mail directory which is probably never
read. Eddy, couldn't you forward your mail to your mail address?

Eddy has "public_html/compendiums/po" which is obviously
auto-generated. However, I think that this compendium stuff should now
go in a general area more than eddy's home.

Grisu's home is empty, except a Maildir that seems old and would just
need some cleaning.

Nicolas seems to have quite a bunch of old stuff that could be cleaned
out. He has his RRD stuff in his home, which is apparently no longer
updated (this was moved to a general area)

In Thomas Huriaux home, there are things that were updated by his cron
jobs....which got disabled by Nicolas as of June 18th. The latest
modified files are dates June 18th. So, in short, everything can
probably be removed. For sure, you don't need to back this up.

Martijn's home is 136Mb and it is not obvious to guess what's outdated
or not there....

Luk Claes has a home on churro, which is empty...

Communication between us
Folks who have an account on churro, could you subscribe to
debian-l10n-devel at lists.alioth.debian.org ? Of course, in case this is
something you haven't already done..:)

For thos of you who do IRC, I also suggest you hook up on #debian-i18n
on irc.debian.org, preferrably permanently if you have the needed
setup (IRC proxy, screened irssi client). Having that IRC channel as
an easy way to communicate between us would be good.

PS: I overlooked the content of your homes as root. Of course, I did
this carefully that preserve all your privacy.