[Debian-l10n-devel] Getting rid of churro?

Martijn van Oosterhout kleptog at gmail.com
Sun Feb 9 22:07:14 UTC 2014

On 9 February 2014 20:16, Joe Dalton <joedalton2 at yahoo.dk> wrote:

> new translations in Danish is now sent to my Jessie installation. Great
> news. Thanks.
>
> and it seems all the important languages are updated (strange some files
> isn't updated).
> http://ftp.debian.org/debian/dists/jessie/main/i18n/
>
> Is it possible to make an update in Wheezy?
> http://ftp.debian.org/debian/dists/wheezy/main/i18n/
> hasn't been updated since 2013-05

In theory yes, however the ftpmasters decided (somewhere) that stable
releases shouldn't get translation updates. I'm not sure I agree with the
reasoning, but there it is. As a practical issue fixing that would be
changing one line in dak, and telling ddtp.d.n to generate the necessary
files. But it's more of a policy thing really.

Or at least, that's my recollection of it. Trying to find evidence in git
repos drew a blank though; references to stable are carefully commented out
everywhere right from the start. Evidently the choice was made prior to the
first commit of the automatic update code (ddtp-dinstall).

I would argue that when Debian does a point release with stable-updates,
that translations should be considered part of that.

Have a nice day,