[Debian-l10n-devel] Fwd: issues building compendia at least since tye upgraded to bullseye

Laura Arjona Reina larjona at debian.org
Sat Dec 17 20:46:40 GMT 2022

Now sending to the correct list...

-------- Mensaje reenviado --------
Asunto: issues building compendia at least since tye upgraded to bullseye
Fecha: Sat, 17 Dec 2022 21:42:13 +0100
De: Laura Arjona Reina <larjona at debian.org>
Para: debian-i18n at lists.debian.org, debian-l10n-devel at lists.debian.org

Hello all

Since we upgraded tye (i18n.debian.org) to bullseye, we're having an
issue building compendia.

The script that has the issue is here:

https://salsa.debian.org/l10n-team/compendia/-/blob/master/createcompendium

and, for every language, the line 28:

msgcat -o "$OUTDIR/compendium-$MSGLANG-stamp$STAMP.po" $POTMPDIR/*.po

tries to concatenate all the .po files and is run (see logs and output
in https://i18n.debian.org/compendia ) but for some reason it returns
with non-zero exit code, so the error message in line 29:

echo "EEE: failed to generate $OUTDIR/compendium-$MSGLANG-stamp$STAMP.po"

is written to the log file, and then the program exits.

The script has additional lines (37 to 40) to remove old compendium*.po
files when the generation is correct, and make a symbolic link for the
latest compendium. But the msgcat command exits with non-zero, so these
lines are not run.

However, the msgcat command indeeds generates a
compendium-$MSGLANG-stamp$STAMP.po file (maybe malformed, not sure), so
they pile up in tye.debian.org and if nobody removes them, we end after
one week with no free space in the server (and the rest of the scripts
start to fail).

I had a look at this some days ago and removed the old compendium*.po
files, but didn't realise that the current compendium generated files
were maybe malformed. Today I just downloaded the Spanish one and
couldn't open it with POEdit. msgfmt produced a .mo file but if it's run
with  -c option, it returns 36 fatal errors. I have downloaded the Farsi
one and it's opened with POEdit (it shows errors in the header and in
the strings, but it is "understood" at least).

I never used compendium files so I don't know how to check if the
generated ones are useful or not.

I don't know if anybody else uses compendia, and I don't know if anybody
with more knowledge of msgcat and scripts can have a look at this issue.
I guess that msgcat before bullseye was less strict and now things that
maybe before were a warning now return error. My proposal to workaround
the space issue in tye would be to include the lines removing old files
in any case (wether we success or fail generating the compendium files).

If anybody has a better idea, please go ahead. If no other comments, I
would apply the change in some days (and for now, remove the old .po
files manually).

If you have no access to tye.debian.org and want me to check anything,
ping me in IRC and will reply ASAP.

Kind regards,

--
Laura Arjona Reina