[Debian-l10n-devel] po statistics

Laura Arjona Reina larjona at debian.org
Fri Nov 17 11:41:54 GMT 2023

Hello Thomas

(adding debian-i18n and debian-l10n-devel lists to CC because I don't
know very well the codebase)

El 17/11/23 a las 11:44, Thomas Lange escribió:
> Hi all,
>
> currently I'm looking at the po statistics. I think I do not understand
> much of it, but I wonder why so many statistics are generated.

I believe that these stats use a list of languages created by the script
gen-files.pl:

https://salsa.debian.org/webmaster-team/webwml/-/blob/master/english/international/l10n/scripts/gen-files.pl

and the list of languages is done by gathering all the languages present
in .po files in testing or unstable archive, using the material in:

https://i18n.debian.org/material/

(that is created by the
https://salsa.debian.org/l10n-team/dl10n/-/blob/master/cron/gen-material
script)

> If I look at
> /srv/www.debian.org/www/international/l10n/po
> I see more than 9400 html files. Wow!
> We provide the "Status of PO files for language code: de — German " in
> 15 different languages (ls de.*.html) and all german files (including
> de_*.*.html) are 112. What is this good for?
> I'll just pick one:
> de_PY.nl.html is
> "Toestand van de PO-bestanden voor de taalcode: de_PY — German @tmpl_lang at ndash; Paraguay"
> who needs this?

I guess that the different scripts just combine all the different
language pairs, but frankly I don't know.

> First, why is the list of languages on page
> https://www.debian.org/international/l10n/po/
> so long? Shouldn't we just list the main lagnuages, without it's variants?
> Should we ignore all "Unknown language"?

This is a bug processing languages with ISO in ISO 639-2 set:

> Let's look at these three:
> https://www.debian.org/international/l10n/po/log
> https://www.debian.org/international/l10n/po/log_DE
> https://www.debian.org/international/l10n/po/man_DE
>
> They list some packages for which
> "translation is underway" or "already translated".
> Fine.
>
> But why do we then add a long list of package names under the section
> "Packages already i18n-ed"
> "These packages are translated in other languages, and then could be translated into your own language."

This is the list of "pending translations", in fact.

> And at the end of the web page we list again all languages, same list
> as on the top of the page.

The list of languages is repeated at top and end of the page since
almost the first revision of the corresponding template, I guess it was
done by convenience.

I've just updated /english/international/l10n/po/tmpl.src removing the
line that inserts the list again at the end of the pages.

> I like to know which information is really needed for the translators
> then I'll try to fix the Makefile to get rid of the unneeded files.

I'm CC'ing debian-i18n list, but many translators are not subscribed
there, just only subscribed to their -l10n-language lists, and I guess
that this info is mostly used by the translators translating package
information (not website pages), so I'm not sure how to reach them.

For my case (Spanish), I'll send a mail to -l10n-spanish linking to this
message and your message, for the case they can provide some feedback.

Kind regards,

--
Laura Arjona Reina
https://wiki.debian.org/LauraArjona