[debian-lan-devel] No internet connection after converting minimal installation

Afif Elghraoui bmi.sysadmin at mail.sdsu.edu
Wed Jan 14 21:05:27 UTC 2015

Hi, Andi,
Thanks for getting back to me.

On الأربعاء 14 كانون الثاني 2015 09:25, Andreas B. Mundt wrote:

> Can you ping this address from the external network or login with
> ssh?  (Note that the firewall (shorewall) may restrict this (IIRC only
> one ssh connection per minute).
I can't ping, but I actually can login using ssh (after setting
PermitRootLogin yes in /etc/ssh/sshd_config).

>> There is a short
>> fai error log from the softupdate, but I don't have a way of getting it off
>> the machine right now and nothing on it looked serious to me (but I could be
>> wrong). The problem is easily reproducible, but I will try to find a flash
>> drive to get the log and post it here.
I'm attaching all the logs from the softupdate command to this message--
not just the error log.
> What happens if you connect a machine to the internal debian-lan
> network, i.e. the other interface? It should get an ip-address from
> the  10.0.0.0/8 network.
That seems to be working. I get far enough to see the FAI boot menu that
gives me the option to do an automated installation. I also get a few
steps into the installation before I run into issues.

>  From your description, I do not see anything that went wrong and all
> sounds sensible.  Could  it be that the wrong interface is connected
> to the outer world?  From your description above this should not be
> the case.  If, however, that happened switch cables or modify
> '/etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules' (switch eth0 <-> eth1).
I don't think this is the case-- otherwise, the other machine wouldn't
boot from the internal interface and the IP addresses look correct given
their roles: eth0 for the internal network and eth1 for the external
network.

> The replaced '/etc/network/interfaces' by debian-lan is then to blame.
> Another problem could be either that there is no dhcp available in the
> wide area network where eth1 connects to.  (Assign a fixed address in
> that case.)
>
> Finally, if all the above is not the case, your wide area network may
> use the same addresses (10.0.0.0/8) as the debian-lan network.  Routing
> will of course fail and you would need to modify the LAN address.
I should have mentioned that the WAN is using a different address
structure. I've also previously tried modifying /etc/network/interfaces
to use a static IP for eth1, but that didn't resolve the problem either.
> You are welcome!  Getting network access shouldn't be something that's
> 'impossible' to solve.  Please report any findings.
So given that I can ssh into the machine's public interface externally,
perhaps my issue isn't directly the network connection. I'm not sure
what it is, then. Could it be the DNS settings that debian-lan
reconfigured aren't working out?

Regards,
Afif

--
Afif Elghraoui
System Administrator, Biological & Medical Informatics Research Center