[debian-lan-devel] No internet connection after converting minimal installation

Andreas B. Mundt andi.mundt at web.de
Fri Jan 16 19:09:47 UTC 2015

Hi Afif,

On Thu, Jan 15, 2015 at 04:38:11PM -0800, Afif Elghraoui wrote:
[...]
> So actually, I think the problem may be with the proxy configuration. When I
> run apt-get update, I get errors that say "Could not resolve
> 'aptcache.intern'". When I comment out the one line in /etc/apt/apt.conf,
> apt-get update works. This is the line that says Acquire::http::Proxy
> "http://aptcache.intern:3128/";
>
> When I add aptcache.intern to /etc/hosts for 127.0.0.1, apt-get update works
> with the /etc/apt/apt.conf line uncommented, but the debian-lan-chroots
> script still fails saying that it can't access http.debian.net.

You could comment the line 'export http_proxy="http://aptcache:3128"'
at the very top of the script to get rid of the message, but probably
the script will try to access the squid proxy anyway -- to avoid this,
probably some more files with references to the proxy need to be
modified.

Hm, strange.  I have here on my test setup:

   admin at mainserver:~$ host aptcache
   aptcache.intern is an alias for mainserver.intern.
   mainserver.intern has address 10.0.0.1
   admin at mainserver:~$ host workstation00
   workstation00.intern has address 10.0.0.50
   admin at mainserver:~$ host www
   www.intern is an alias for mainserver.intern.
   mainserver.intern has address 10.0.0.1

For some reason your DNS resolution seems to work only for external
addresses, and the local named fails to work?!?

Perhaps to compare, here are some more 'results':

   admin at mainserver:~$ host 8.8.8.8 127.0.0.1
   Using domain server:
   Name: 127.0.0.1
   Address: 127.0.0.1#53
   Aliases:

   8.8.8.8.in-addr.arpa domain name pointer
   google-public-dns-a.google.com.
   admin at mainserver:~$ host 8.8.8.8 10.0.0.1
   Using domain server:
   Name: 10.0.0.1
   Address: 10.0.0.1#53
   Aliases:

   8.8.8.8.in-addr.arpa domain name pointer
   google-public-dns-a.google.com.
   admin at mainserver:~$ host 8.8.8.8 192.168.122.58
   Using domain server:
   Name: 192.168.122.58
   Address: 192.168.122.58#53
   Aliases:

   8.8.8.8.in-addr.arpa domain name pointer google-public-dns-a.google.com.

If this works fine, is anything suspicious in the squid logs
/var/log/squid3/access.log ?

> I think we're getting closer. Thanks for bearing with me on these issues.

No problem, I hope we can finally understand and fix this soon.

Regards,

        Andi