[debian-lan-devel] Post Installation Issues

Afif Elghraoui aelghrao at rohan.sdsu.edu
Thu Feb 12 01:48:20 UTC 2015

Hi,
I meant to contact you regarding this issue, but my coworker beat me to
it (he has been picking up the testing with DebianLAN, but I was
involved in much of this part). I want to clarify some things he said,
however. I'm sorry about our internal miscommunication. I'll be in
contact from here on for this issue.

On الأربعاء 11 شباط 2015 16:58, BMIRC System Administrator wrote:

> I have a server machine setup and I am in process of installing
> workstations to the system.

This is on our jessie test setup (about which I contacted you earlier
about the DNS resolution issues we had).
> I am able to finish FAI process successfully for the workstation
> through a network boot. However, I am running into couple issues after
> the installation is done. The machine keeps doing network performing
> so it repeats the installation process unless it is manually changed
> to hard drive boot.
There was something more I wanted to try that I think would solve this
problem we had before bringing this up to you. After checking the FAI
guide, I think we just needed to add "reboot" to the $FAI_FLAGS to
trigger automatic reboot after installation and to boot directly to the
second boot device. Right now, it prompts "Press enter to reboot" and
then reboots into installation since network boot is the first boot device.
> Also, there is no home directory for the user so it is not possible to
> log in the first time. I need to manually create a user from the
> server until I can log in.

This isn't quite the issue we're having. We've tried installing two
workstations so far, and both of them required us to manually distribute
the Kerberos ketabs after installation in order for home directories to
be mounted (as described in the section "Distributing Kerberos keytabs
to clients" in the DebianLAN wiki[1]). The absence of the home directory
then prevents graphical user login. Do you know what might be preventing
the automatic keytab distribution from working?

Many thanks and regards,
Afif

1. https://wiki.debian.org/DebianLAN/Setup_A