[debian-lan-devel] disk size and other issues

Boylan, Ross Ross.Boylan at ucsf.edu
Tue Feb 17 20:08:58 UTC 2015

Thanks for making this available.

DISK SIZE
It would be helpful if the amount of disk space required for various installations was documented somewhere; I poked around and couldn't find it.  As a result I had several false starts trying to do a mainserver install (combined) in a VM.  Oddly, although it said it needed about 10G, even 11G was insufficient and I had to go with 12 before things worked.

I used http://www.das-netzwerkteam.de/~andi.mundt/debian-lan_wheezy_20140302_amd64.iso.

Maybe virtual box, which I was using, does disk sizes in powers of 10 while the installer does powers of 2?  Even so, there seems to be some unaccounted for overhead.

I was also a bit puzzled about how disk size was handled after seeing the talk.  You mentioned that each class can have its own disk partition section, but that seems to be something that can only occur once.  Yet the necessary size depends on all the classes selected.  How does that work?  Do you adopt a convention of only specifying the disk layout in the classes that bring all the others together, e.g., SERVER_A?

WEBSITE
https://wiki.debian.org/DebianLAN links to http://penta.debconf.org/dc13_schedule/events/962.en.html.  The first link at the bottom, under attachments, is http://penta.debconf.org/dc13_schedule/attachments/265_DebianLAN.pdf, which gives me a not found error.  The last link on the page, to slide (http://people.debian.org/~andi/Vaumarcus2013.pdf) does work, and I suspect is substantially the same material since it matches what was in the .ogv files.

INSTALLATION FAILURE
After I ran through the installation there were some error messages (can't recall the details) and when I rebooted no boot loader came up.  I'll try again to get a better report, but I know my network setup was screwy.  Specifically, the machine was running on a virtual LAN in the 192.168.... range, but I know the machine gets set up with 10... as the IP.  Also, the machine is set up to be a DHCP server, but there are already 2 DHCP servers on the LAN: one being run by virtual box for the LAN, and the other on a virtual machine on the LAN (as the result of installing debian-lan-config on it.  Could these account for the failure?

Thanks.
Ross