[debian-lan-devel] packages for LDAP_CLIENT-class

Andreas B. Mundt andi.mundt at web.de
Mon Dec 5 17:02:32 UTC 2011

Hi Medhamsh,

On Mon, Dec 05, 2011 at 05:13:21PM +0530, Medhamsh wrote:
> Dont we have libpam-ldap in the LDAP_CLIENT and also ldap_utils
> for debugging purpose? Shall I include those in
> ../../package_config/LDAP_CLIENT

We do not need libpam-ldap, because we use Kerberos (libpam-krb5)
instead, users (and machines) are authenticated against the KDC.
I think this is the preferred way to do it and it works without
problems here.

Concerning the package ldap-utils, I would suggest to create a new
class, like DEVEL (?), which includes all additional packages needed
and helpful for development.

In general, I suggest to have some kind of "essential classes" which
contain all essential stuff separated from "nice to have/special user
case" stuff.  What we have so far are the essential classes for
Setup_A <URL:http://wiki.debian.org/DebianLAN/Setup_A>, and I think
there's not much to drop from these classes without loosing grave
functionality.  However, all you need is there, and therefore
additional features should go to some "less essential" classes.  (In
the spirit of the Debian package management system, where you have
essential packages which are needed on (almost) all systems.)

Best regards,

     Andi

BTW: How is your testing going?