[debian-lan-devel] CD image for Debian-LAN mainserver installation

Andreas Schockenhoff asc at gmx.li
Wed Jan 11 16:59:45 UTC 2012

Dear Andreas,

Am Dienstag, den 10.01.2012, 23:38 +0100 schrieb Andreas B. Mundt:

> Great, thanks for testing and reporting!  We have to add the USB stuff
> to the Wiki.
Double the information from the fai-project website? May be a link will
do?

> > After installing I test the procedure also on the new server. It
> > worked also after some minor corrections..
> >
> > In /etc/fai/make-fai-nfsroot.conf is the wrong proxy for debootstrap.
>
> Not clear what you mean here.  I had the issue that installing on a
> machine with a single network card failed (or better the fai-setup on
> first boot failed, because 10.0.0.1 did not exist).
> However, after adding the second ethernet card things worked as
> expected.  Perhaps you can explain a bit more.
in files/etc/fai/make-fai-nfsroot.conf

old:
# Parameter for debootstrap: "<suite> <mirror>"
FAI_DEBOOTSTRAP="squeeze http://faiserver:9999/debian"

new:
FAI_DEBOOTSTRAP="squeeze http://cdn.debian.net/debian"

> > The /etc/apt/sources.list is not nice. I think setting the proxy server
> > for apt ist better solved as a environment variable. This also make it
> > possible to change this easy. A broken mirror is one of the number one
> > problem when you use fai.
>
> You mean by adding something to /etc/apt/proxy (or the like, I have to
> check)?
No. Only add this to /root/.bashrc .....
export http_proxy=http://mainserver:3142

and remove the proxy in sources.list.

> Yes, I also thought about that.  Disadvantage of the CD:  You have to
> modify the default password after installation.
Why is that a problem? I skip back to default password fai and have no
problems during testing.

For later you can modify the password on the USB stick if you need this. Or
generate your own CD for the production system.

Or we can add a option on the command line for the root/admin password
for the production system that can overwrite the default password.

Have I understand the problem correct?

regards Andreas