[debian-lan-devel] FAI and diskless clients

Andreas B. Mundt andi.mundt at web.de
Sat Jan 14 21:51:07 UTC 2012

Hi all,

today I tried to implement diskless clients in a FAI config space for
Debian-LAN (<URL:http://wiki.debian.org/DebianLAN>).

After experimenting a bit with the ltsp-server package I, decided to
try creating the chroot using FAI.  I managed to boot the diskless
client, but due to the nature of the non-writable root file system
things did not work satisfactorily.  However, I did not install
fai-nfsroot or live-boot in the chroot, just the packages which are
used in a default workstation installation.

As the correct modification of the chroot seems to be crucial for
diskless clients, I would like to ask about experience and
recommendations how to implement diskless machines best.

Is fai-nfsroot / live-boot sufficient or are there more modifications
needed?  Are these modifications invasive, so that it might be simpler
to use the LTSP packages?

Thanks in advance, best regards,

       Andi