[debian-lan-devel] partition schemes as classes

Andreas B. Mundt andi.mundt at web.de
Mon Jan 16 17:46:37 UTC 2012

Hi,

when working on the implementation of diskless clients for our
Setup_A, the need for a different partition scheme than implemented in
config/disk_config/SERVER_A appeared.  Now I do not want to define a
class SERVER_B with the partition scheme I need and copy all other
SERVER_A stuff identically.

I suggest to define a class for every partitioning scheme we need,
like:

	LVM5_A
	LVM6_A
	LVM7_A

LVM means local volume manager, the number is the total number of
partitions created (which gives you a rough idea about the scheme) and
A is to distinguish schemes with the same number of partitons (or
Setup_A, Setup_B, whatever).

So if you like to have a different partitioning scheme (/opt on a
extra partition for the chroot of the diskless clients) but leave all
other stuff untouched, you just replace LVM6_A by LVM7_A for example.

Good idea?  What do you think?

Best regards,

     Andi