[debian-lan-devel] debian-lan package

Andreas Schockenhoff asc at gmx.li
Fri Feb 17 06:57:32 UTC 2012

Hello,

Am Mittwoch, den 15.02.2012, 19:55 +0100 schrieb Andreas B. Mundt:
> the current debian-lan implementation (Setup_A) seems to work fine:
>
>     * workstations
>     * diskless clients
>     * kerberized NFSv4 home directories for all machines (sec=krb5i by default)
Nice.

> The question is how to do that best.  As the whole debian-lan setup is
> not more than a FAI config space, we could ask the FAI project if it
> would be possible to provide the config space in addition to the
> config space already present in the fai-quickstart package.
I think a git source would be more maintainable. Config files in
a package is very complicated also if the user make adjustment on this.
Updates are not so easy as with a normal package. A tag for the debian
version would be necessary if something differ with the new version.

Updates for fai are also more complicated because sometimes a new
nfsroot .... softupdate to all clients .... are needful.

> Alternatively we could package the config space in an extra package
> (debian-lan-fai?  fai-debian-lan?).  The package would probably
> include not more than dependencies and the config space as well as
> some instructions on how to get things running. It would be comparable
> to the fai-quickstart package.
May be the special version fai-debian-lan of the fai-cd "ready to run"
to download is a better start?

regards Andreas