[Debian-med-packaging] Preliminary package of the NCBI SRA SDK: help needed.

Andreas Tille andreas at an3as.eu
Wed Dec 15 15:50:06 UTC 2010

Hi Charles,

[I'm moving the thread to development list because IMHO it is more
 apropriate here]

On Wed, Dec 15, 2010 at 11:44:20PM +0900, Charles Plessy wrote:
> I have difficulties with its build system. In command line, I manage to get the
> programs copied to debian/tmp, but when running “make” through debian/rules,
> the build system does not even create the directory, and finishes without error,
> pretending that all was done. Then dh_install fails.
>
> If you would like to have a look, a very preliminary package is available on Alioth:
>
> http://git.debian.org/?p=debian-med/sra-sdk.git;a=summary

Besides the missing build-depends I commited (there are most probably
some more!) I have noticed that there is the file

  debian/sra-toolkit.debhelper.log

with content:

dh_auto_configure
dh_auto_build
dh_auto_test
dh_prep
dh_installdirs
dh_auto_install

and the logfile says:

<building stuff>
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/tillea/debian-maintain/repack/sra-sdk/sra-sdk'
   # Skipping dh_auto_test - empty override
   dh_testroot
   dh_prep
   dh_installdirs
   dh_auto_install
   dh_install
dh_install: sra-toolkit missing files (bin64/*), aborting

I *assume* that dh_prep *after* the build will undo all your builded
files and thus there is nothing left for th einstallation.

I do not have time to verify this hypothesis now - but I would follow
this path to check for the reason of the vanished build targets.

Hope this helps