[Debian-med-packaging] Licencing question about insighttoolkit

Olivier Robert poutifar at gmx.com
Fri Jan 29 10:20:59 UTC 2010

Hello,

I'm contacting the Debian-Med Packaging Team because I would to ask a question about the licence of a routine used in the insighttoolkit.
I'm not a user of insighttookit and have no personal interest in that package, but I'm actually trying to package another software named eispice (http://www.thedigitalmachine.net/eispice.html) which uses the same particular routine.
So I hope you can help me on that subject.

Insighttoolkit incorporates third party libraries taken from the "ACM Collected Algorithms"
http://www.netlib.org/toms/
My question is about one file in particular:
insighttoolkit-3.16.0/Utilities/vxl/v3p/netlib/toms/rpoly.f
The copyright notice as shown on http://www.netlib.org/toms/ indicates:
"Use of ACM Algorithms is subject to the ACM Software Copyright and
License Agreement"
which is futher explained on:
http://www.acm.org/publications/policies/softwarecrnotice/
From what I understand, this licence grants the right to execute, copy, modify and distribute the code and the binary only for non-commercial use. But for commercial use, you have to get the authorisation from the authors.

Considering this situation, I would like to know how you solved this licence issue concerning insighttoolkit, so that I can benefit from your experience.

Kind Regards

Olivier Robert