[Debian-med-packaging] Licensing question about Insight Toolkit ( VXL / toms / ACM and non-commercial license conflict with BSD license).

Olivier Robert poutifar at gmx.com
Fri Jan 29 19:03:34 UTC 2010

> We should pursue an effort for creating a "purified" netlib web
> site where only code with clear licensing statements is hosted.
>
> In the meantime, we should certainly ban the use of code taken
> from netlib.

Another thing to consider is that a number of these routines are already shipped as packages in debian.
Examples :

blas --> libblas3gf
lapack --> liblapack3gf

I see two interesting things in that :

1) the forensic of these packages could help to understand how to do the licencing work properly
2) it should be feasible to use these shared libraries instead of static code.
I don't know if it is interesting or not. It's really an open question. (I have the same situation with another package)
What are the recommandation of the debian policy? What about the performance ?

Olivier